A game takes around 70-75 minutes, including about an hour inside the bank. The rest of the time includes safety and in-character briefing for the heist, and counting up your loot at the end. (Note that this time may have to be reduced if you arrive late, to avoid impacting subsequent sessions.)
Small Time Criminals is a permanent installation in our new building, and will run for at least a year.
Small Time Criminals is intended for an adult audience, with content roughly the equivalent of an M rating for "adult themes" and drug references. We don't recommend bringing children under 15, but we're happy to discuss the content with parents (or indeed anyone!) beforehand.
Players under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, and for safety reasons we do not permit children under the age of 10.
Yes! As well as the bank heist, there will be other scenarios in which you sneak into the bank to find evidence of corruption, solve a major crime, or unlock deeper mysteries. We'll release more details of these once they're ready.
Small Time Criminals is a heist: a fantasy version of a bank robbery along the lines of Ocean's Eleven, in which no-one gets hurt and only bad people lose their money. You'll be entering the bank after hours to get around security systems and avoid a guard on patrol, stealing valuables and trying to leave as little trace of your presence as possible. There are no weapons or violence of any kind, and stealth, cunning and quick thinking are the best tools for the job.
Yes! We'll be able to adjust the game for less experienced teams through various means to make things a bit easier for them. (We can't say how, it'd be a spoiler.)
We allow bookings up to three months in advance, but you can also book online as little as 24 hours ahead. If you have a specific date in mind we'd recommend planning at least a few weeks ahead - weekends in particular fill up fairly quickly.
If you spontaneously decide you want to play, you can call us on the day (03 9478 6205) to see if we have sessions and staff available. Sessions booked this way will need to be paid for in cash on arrival.
We do. Our cancellation policy is as follows:
- If you cancel at least 48 hours in advance, we will refund your entire booking fee.
- If you cancel at least 24 hours in advance, we will refund half of your booking fee.
- If you cancel with less than 24 hours notice, there are no refunds.
Wild Card sessions are specific game sessions reserved for those who want to play Small Time Criminals but don't have a team of their own. Regular sessions of Small Time Criminals are private; once you've booked for your team, no-one else can join that session. But in a Wild Card session, anyone can book in as long as there are spaces left. You'll need to form an alliance and learn how to play together on the night.
Wild Card sessions are no longer scheduled regularly, but they may make an occasional reappearance. If you'd like to try playing with a random group, sign up to our mailing list to make sure you find out when we plan to run a Wild Card session in the future.
You can reschedule your booking yourself via Bookeo, or by contacting us, up until 48 hours before the time of your session. Rescheduling with less than 48 hours notice is at the discretion of the company and subject to availability, and may incur a rescheduling fee. You cannot reschedule a booked session with less than 24 hours notice; this will be treated as a cancellation as per our cancellation policy.
Gift vouchers can be purchased for a fixed amount corresponding to the cost of a session for 1-6 people. You'll get a voucher with a web address to visit and code to enter to use it; you can customise the voucher with an image and message, and print it out or email it to the recipient. A gift voucher is valid for any booking made within twelve months of the day you purchased it.
When you use a voucher, you can book for as many people as you like; if you book a session for more people than the voucher covers, you'll need to pay any difference in the booking fee. (e.g. if given a voucher for $200, which covers teams of 4 or 5, and you book for six people, you'll need to pay the extra $40 for the sixth player.) If you book for fewer people, you can use the leftover money towards another session if you wish.
You find links for purchasing and redeeming gift vouchers on our Bookings page.
On the Day
No! In fact we specifically ask that you don't bring anything. Our game runner will give you anything you need for the heist as part of your briefing.
We recommend comfortable clothing that doesn't restrict your movement, but honestly any casual street clothes should be fine. It is however a safety requirement for the game that you wear closed shoes while playing (i.e. no thongs, sandals, open-toed shoes or bare feet).
It's important that you turn up on time (and preferably no more than 5 minutes early). If you are running late, please let us know as early as possible. We'll do our best to accomodate you, but to make sure subsequent sessions are not impacted the following policies apply:
- If your team are 10 or more minutes late, your game will run but with a reduced time limit.
- If your team are 20 or more minutes late, we will reschedule your session for another time (subject to availability), and a rescheduling fee may apply. Should you not wish to reschedule, this will be treated as a cancellation with less than 24 hours notice.
- If some of your team are running late, we will start with whoever is on time and add your teammates to the game after it has started.
As we run sessions all day, and are often fully booked (especially on weekends), sessions will start as close to on time as possible. It's best if you don't arrive more than 5 minutes early.
If you are going to be quite early, there are a few cafes and bars nearby which may be open depending on the session time where you can hang out (though make sure you don't make yourselves late!). You can find them in the separate FAQ on this page about nearby places.
If you've accidentally taken one of our keys (or anything else important!), please get in touch and let us know, either by email to email@example.com or through a Facebook message. You can send it back to us via regular mail. Please sticky-tape a key to a piece of card (an index card works great) before you put it in an envelope to help it arrive safely. The address to send it to is:
Small Time Criminals
461 Plenty Road
PRESTON VIC 3072
Yes! There are a few cafes and bars in our local area that are open around some of our session times:
- Hard Rubbish bar, just across the intersection on Plenty Road, are open for craft beers and jaffles until 11 PM Thursdays to Saturday, and 10 PM on Sundays. On Sundays between 10 and 2 they have waffles! It's a great place to meet up before your heist, or to discuss the game afterwards. You can check out their exact opening hours and find out more at their Facebook page.
- The Tyler Street Cafe is right next door, and is normally open until 4:30 PM on weekdays and 3 PM on Saturdays. They're closed on Sundays.
- Spiral Beans (reopening on January 9) is a five minute walk south on Plenty Road, near the Wood Street tram stop, and have a healthy Japanese-influenced cafe menu. They're open for breakfast and lunch from 8 AM to 3 PM on weekdays, and 9 AM to 4 PM on weekends; they also open for dinner from 5:30 to 9:30 PM, Tuesday to Sunday. Find them online at spiralbeans.com.
- Ethel Cafe are located at 715 Plenty Road, less than 10 minutes walk north of the bank. They not only serve all-day breakfast and coffee but also ice-cream! They're open until 4 PM on all the days we open, including Sundays.
You can play any time in the first twelve months of Small Time Criminals, subject to availability (so if you want a specific date or time, tell us in advance). You do get a chance to book before the general public, and should have received an email with details of that already; get in touch if you can't find it.
No. Rewards from the Pozible campaign - stickers, extra content, being involved in the story and discount tickets - are no longer available. We might make other goodies in future, though!